Retirement Marks a New Era, And AASRA Welcomes You!
Select the links on the left to learn more about
2013 AASRA Fall Newsletter - NEW!
Welcome to the AASRA Advocacy Website. The All Arizona School Retirees Association (AASRA) seeks to keep members informed and help them advocate effectively on issues that affect retirees and public education. Of particular concern are:
1. Issues affecting retirement: pensions (ASRS), social security, health plan benefits
Issues regarding senior health and well-being: community
services, security from abuse,
3. Issues affecting public education, students and educators
Legislative Priorities of 2012-2013
The AASRA State Board approved the following legislative priorities on September 24, 2012. The Legislative Team members include: Sigrid Whitman, Chair, David Black, Virginia Brant, Joe Carter, Don Ritchie, and Mary Anne Vath, Members.
Contact and visit
with as many legislators as possible, on our legislative
2) Maintain our reporting system with all the units, including Legislative contacts and/or Unit Presidents.
3) Our main priority is to protect our Defined Benefit pensions and to do anything we can to help strengthen them. Lobby and inform on any items that have to do with the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS), such as: the Permanent Benefit Increase (PBI) and our health insurance.
anti-voucher legislation in education, and for more
funding for education, including full funding of the
inflation factor already in law. Work on recognition by
the Legislature of professional standards for public
education. Work for issues that will improve the
integrity of public education (including K-12, community
colleges, and the universities).
Work to provide
educational infrastructure and safety programs for
schools, including School Resource Officers (SRO), and
to restore funding for the School Facilities Board,
already in state law.
Work against any
TABOR-like (Taxpayer’s Bill of Rights) issues that might
come up again in the Legislature.
7) Promote restoration and budget increases for human services such as: caregiving funds, funds for children and families, funds for grandparents bringing up grandchildren, and funding for AHCCCS (Medicaid).
Sigrid Whitman, Legislative Chair