The Legislative Team submits the following 2018-2019 legislative priorities to the AASRA State Board for their approval on Monday, September 24, 2018. Current team members are Joe Carter, Jerry Holmes, Janet Fee and Don Ritchie.
- Protect the defined benefit pension plan and work to strengthen and improve the Arizona State Retirement System. Monitor legislative or other efforts to weaken the ASRS or other public pension systems.
- Support anti-voucher legislation and initiatives. Work to increase sustainable funding for public education.
- Work for issues that will improve the integrity and image of public education, including K-12, community colleges and public universities.
- Support legislation/initiatives that increase the oversight and transparency of funding for charter schools, as well as their accountability to the public.
- Work to limit the expansion of Empowerment Scholarship Accounts (ESA’s) and advocate for increased oversight of ESA accounts.
- Work against any legislation that promotes excessive interest rates on consumer loans, such as payday and title loans.
- Promote restoration and budget increases for human services such as caregiving funds and social services for children, seniors and families.