AASRA LEGISLATIVE PRIORITIES
The Legislative Team submits the following legislative priorities to the AASRA State Board for their approval on Monday, September 23, 2019 Current team members are Joe Carter, Jerry Holmes, Joanna Haspels, Janet Fee, Don Ritchie and Linda Danielson.
1. Protect the defined benefit pension plan and work to strengthen and improve the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS).
2. Oppose legislative or other efforts to weaken the ASRS or other public pension systems. Support the efforts of the Arizona Retirement Security Coalition (ARSC) and other organizations to protect our defined benefit pension plan.
3. Work to increase sustainable funding for public education and limit the expansion of Empowerment Scholarship Accounts (ESA’s). Advocate for increased oversight of ESA’s.
4. Support legislation/initiatives that increase the oversight and transparency of funding for charter schools, as well as their accountability to the public.
5. Work for issues that will improve the integrity and image of public education, including K-12, community colleges and public universities.
6. Promote restoration and budget increases for human services such as caregiving funds, healthcare and social services for children, seniors and families.
7. Work against any legislation that promotes excessive interest rates on consumer loans, such as payday and title loans.