AASRA LEGISLATIVE PRIORITIES
Adopted by the Board of Directors, September 26, 2022
1. Work to protect and strengthen the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS); increase its funded status and improve current and future retiree benefits.
2. Oppose legislative or other efforts to weaken the ASRS or other public pension systems. Support the efforts of the Arizona Retirement Security Coalition (ARSC) and other organizations to protect our defined benefit pension plan.
3. Work to increase sustainable funding for public education, support efforts to improve the salaries of all public school employees and work for issues that will improve the integrity and image of public education, including K-12, community colleges and public universities.
4. Work to limit the expansion of Empowerment Scholarship Accounts (ESA’s) and advocate for increased oversight of ESA’s. Support legislation and/or ballot measures that reduce or eliminate allocation of public monies to private schools.
5. Support legislation and/or initiatives that increase the oversight and transparency of funding for charter schools, as well as their accountability to the public.
6. Promote restoration of funding and budget increases for human services such as caregiving funds, healthcare and social services for children, seniors and families.
7. Actively encourage and support legislation and funding sources that directly and comprehensively address school safety and security needs, including, but not limited to, the following programs and initiatives:
- School Preparedness Plan, Arizona Department of Education
- Framework for Safe and Successful Schools, National Association of Elementary School Principals
- School Health & Safety, National Education Association
- School Safety Resolution, National Sheriff’s Association
- Community Oriented Policing Services Grants, U.S. Department of Justice